The Rule

The Rule

Search This Blog

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Ira Hanford (1918-2009) onboard 1936 Kentucky Derby Winner Bold Venture

     By the time I  met Ira, he was already feeling poorly but still found the energy to take his wife Virginia out for a beer at our local watering hole. Although Virginia still stops by once in awhile you can't help but notice that Ira is not sitting there next to her.
     Ira would come alive whenever I would ask him about his life as a jockey. The last time we talked I asked him if he saw the movie Seabiscuit. Tilting back his baseball cap he said,  No, I didn't see the movie, I rode him though. At that moment I became fully aware of who I was having a beer with.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice. I didn't know where this was going. That's how it is in life, I suppose.

    Thank you for your thoughtful comment my way.

    erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your friend ~ its the good ones that are always humble...

    ReplyDelete